The Talis Asset Management Team has been assisting both the public and private sectors in delivering asset management solutions for over 30 years.
In this project, Talis was contracted by Main Roads Western Australia to amalgamate existing drainage information into a single, comprehensive system, with the overall aim of improving the capability of Main Roads to react to emergencies and prevent catastrophic failure of assets.
Talis was initially contracted by Main Roads in 2014 to undertake a ‘pilot’ feasibility study into the accuracy & cost-effectiveness of the potential system.
Since this initial study, Talis has mapped underground, subsoil and overground drainage for over 500 kilometres of freeway, highway and other state roads in multiple stages. This data has been captured in a format tailored to Main Roads’ needs, based on the various drainage specifications in use by local governments across Australia.
As Talis’ involvement in this project continued, the team developed and improved processes to extract, translate and load data more efficiently. Independent field verifications were undertaken by Main Roads personnel to demonstrate the relevance and accuracy of the existing source data and translation outputs.
The benefits of the resulting Drainage Asset Management System include:
- Transfer of drainage data to existing systems to assist in the management of the network including preventative maintenance;
- Determination of asset location and pipe configuration within seconds;
- Availability of a drainage asset register to accurately value assets and retrieve asset dimensions and materials;
- Integration with other government organisation systems;
- The simplicity of ongoing system maintenance including the addition of new assets or project stages; and
- Ability to perform trace functions on the localised drainage networks from sink to source or vice versa, in order to ascertain flow direction and possible pollutant entry or exit points.
Talis continues to work alongside Main Roads Western Australia on a variety of projects, and are proud of our successful relationships with a number of government agencies.